General Dentists & Cosmetic Dentists located in Gresham, OR
Dental crowns restore damaged teeth and improve the appearance of your smile by covering teeth that are stained or uneven. Bridges and crowns are used to replace missing teeth. Dr. Beatrice Deca offers bridges and crowns made from a variety of materials, including porcelain and zirconia crowns that are made and applied in one visit. If you have questions about dental crowns and bridges, call her office, Deca Dentistry in Gresham, Oregon, or schedule an appointment online.
Crown and Bridge Q & A
What is a dental crown?
Dental crowns are protective caps permanently affixed over a tooth to restore its strength, function, or appearance. After Dr. Deca cements the crown in place, it covers the full portion of the tooth which is visible above or below the gum line. Dental crowns can:
- Cover an implant
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Secure pieces of a cracked tooth together
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Cover a misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Restore a broken tooth or one that has been severely worn down
What different crowns are available?
Crowns can be either temporary or permanent. Temporary crowns are made of acrylic or stainless steel and are used for a temporary restoration until a permanent crown is ready.
A permanent crown can be made from the following:
- Porcelain crowns: Best choice for front teeth because they look like natural teeth
- Metal: Made from gold or base-metal; lasts the longest out of all the available options; withstands the pressure of biting and chewing forces.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: Porcelain matches natural teeth; metal adds strength
- All-resin: Tinted to match natural teeth; less expensive than other available crown types.
Deca Dentistry is proud to offer single visit crowns. Using 3Shape TRIOS scanner, state of the art design studio software, and VHF Z4 milling machine, Dr. Deca can have a custom crown made and fitted same day.
What is a zirconia crown?
Zirconia crowns can be made in one office visit using specialized computer equipment on site. Dr. Deca prepares your tooth and makes a digital impression, which is sent to a computerized cutting machine. The machine produces your crown, milling it from a single block of zirconia, and when it’s finished, she cements the crown in your mouth.
What is the difference between a crown and a bridge?
A crown is used to restore a single existing tooth to give it a more natural appearance. With a dental implant, crowns can also be used to replace a missing tooth.
A bridge is used to fill the gaps that have been made from missing teeth. It can also be used to replace several missing teeth that are next to one another. Crowns and bridges are both permanent prosthetics.
Why would I need a dental bridge or crown?
Both prosthetics improve your appearance by replacing missing teeth. Crowns restore a natural tooth back to its natural strength and function.
It’s important to replace missing teeth because they retain the structure of a person’s smile. When a tooth is missing, surrounding teeth can become misaligned as they move toward the open space.